Tablets, cell phones and game consoles: it seems that the youth of today can't get enough of it. But it is important to remember that too much screen time can have negative effects on the development and health of children. In this blog post you as a parent read how you can reduce the screen time of your little one.
Negative effects of screen time
Research shows that too much screen time can lead to overweight, sleep disorders, attention problems and problems with language development. In addition, the excessive use of a screen ensures social isolation and limiting the physical activity of children. That is why it is important to try to reduce the screen time and find fun alternatives for these annoying screens. This does not mean that your little one should not have a screen time at all, but it is important to find a balance. Make sure that your little one gets sufficient physical activity and social interaction every day.
Benefits of playing with toys
Fortunately there is also good news: playing with toys is a great alternative to screen time! Research shows that playing with toys contributes to the development of children in different areas, such as language, cognitive skills and motor skills. In addition, playing with toys can stimulate creativity and imagination, which in turn is good for the problem -solving capacity. So, if your little one is stuck on the screen. Then toys are a great alternative. Do you want to go one step further? Then choose educational toys. This stimulates the imagination and requires physical activity. In this way, playing with toys not only contributes to the development and growth of your child, but you also reduce the screen time!
6 tips to reduce screen time
Have we convinced you? Then we have six tips here to reduce the screen time of your little one:
- Set up rules: It is important to draw up clear rules about the use of screens, for example how long and when your little one has access to a screen. Make sure that the rules are realistic and feasible.
- Limit your own screen time: As a parent you play an important role in limiting the screen time of your children. If you are constantly on your phone or have the television on, then you set the wrong example and it is more difficult to convince your children to limit their own screen time.
- Search alternative activities: Make sure you have small alternative activities to deal with, such as playing outside, reading, drawing or playing board games. This helps to reduce the temptation of screens. In fact, if you start doing other fun things together, that screen will forget in no time!
- Make use of parental supervision: Use parental supervision of devices to limit the screen time of your children and to ensure that they only have access to suitable content.
- Create a positive environment: Create a positive environment in which children are encouraged to focus on other activities. For example, give a compliment if they focus on alternative activities and encourage them to discover new hobbies.
- Be consistent: It is important to be consistent when limiting the screen time of your little one. Make sure you adhere to the rules and that there are consequences if you violate these rules.
We know, sometimes it is a lot easier to turn on a film or series for distraction. But it is important to remember that too much screen time has a negative effect on the development and health of children. Therefore choose educational toys that stimulate the imagination and requires physical activity. In this way you not only reduce the screen time, you also contribute to the development and growth of your child.